Saturday 4 September 2010

RL Comment: London...

London club Harlequins have spoken to put fans minds at ease about their future.

Ever since their coach Brian McDermott said he was returning to Leeds as second in command to Brian McClennan, there has been speculation on what the future holds for Quins.

McDermott himself was quoted as saying: "There are some harsh facts that bills need to be paid.


"I have met some fellows of integrity in my time and I have met some fellows whom I rate as men. David Hughes is probably up there, he is top drawer.

"Without qualm and without fuss he has divvied up an incredible amount of money, almost soccer-style money, to keep this club afloat.

"In the last couple of years certain things have happened which have meant he has had to divvy a little bit more up.

"It has been tough on him and he can't continue to do that, and nor should he.

"That's why I fear for the club. I do have a concern and I hope the people who are making the decisions at the top end make some correct decisions."

Last night the Quins issued a statement from their chairman David Hughes which can be seen in full at: http://www.league.quins.co.uk/news/12266.php.

In it he said: "As supporters may be aware, I currently own 35% of The Club but provide 100% of the funding for the losses which have been substantial over the past 2 years and we asked the RFL to help find a solution to this current situation which was unsustainable."


"They have helped find a solution that will shortly allow me to take ownership of 100% of the shares in The Club. This will allow us to really step up the search for investment which we still need to secure to provide a further stimulus and give Harlequins RL the best possible chance to realise the fantastic potential that it has."

Hughes also said "We carry no debt and no overdraft and so I want to make it crystal clear that the well publicised discussions with the RFL have not been around financial support of The Club and I can categorically state that we have not asked for, and not received a financial bail of any sort."

The Quins chairman continued, "I am delighted to be able to tell you tonight that the discussions with the RFL have been extremely constructive and positive and whilst difficult at times, we have agreed a partnership approach based on a range of Technical, Physical, Marketing and Financial support to help ensure the future of the game in the region."


"I would like to pay tribute to the RFL team involved in the discussions for their supportive approach and allowing us to achieve this excellent solution."

Now I am delighted that pro rugby will continue in London and I'm not one of these who feels a London club is pointless. London Skolars also appear to be getting a number of things right that will hopefully see them grow and prosper after a couple of poor years that have seen them around the lower reaches of the game.

What worries me is the positioning of this club. Harlequins isn't based in one of the most accessible areas of the capital and to be honest the area is steeped in rugby union, over a hundred years of it. The Women's Rugby Union World Cup Final will be played there tonight and I bet there will be a much bigger crowd in attendance that the 3,211 that was declared against the Challenge Cup holders last night.

If I was Mr Hughes I would give serious consideration to relocating and judging on the couple of games that took place at Queens Park Rangers, their Loftus Road ground may be better suited because of the number of Australian and New Zealand expats that live in the area. I'll have to give anywhere else in the capital more serious thought before commiting fingers to my keyboard!

Strategically I can see the importance of clubs in the region, but the truth is that they have been around for thirty years and all the things being printed now were printed about the original pioneering team that started life as Fulham and played at the famous (or is that infamous) Craven Cottage.

I find it interesting that Mr Hughes reports no debt at his club despite some gates this season that have been put to shame by Widnes Vikings in the Championship, just in the same way that I found it interesting that Widnes themselves were able to declare a million pound pre-tax profit recently.

The RFL are lending support to the continued crusade for the game in the capital and it is worthwhile when you look at participation levels in the amateur game, and despite Mr Hughes obvious declarations to the contrary there will be money involved. Indeed as he said in his own statement "we have agreed a partnership approach based on a range of Technical, Physical, Marketing and Financial support."

While this may not constitute as a "financial bail" it is still an investment and it will cost money.

I wonder if the RFL now own the other 65% of shares in the club which previous financier and chairperson Ian Lenagan had up until recently, despite his involvement at Wigan.

I'm sure all will become clear over the next couple of months or years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment